Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Time management

I spent a good portion of my day today defining my life goals and trying to create a time-map in which I achieve said goals.  I'm not sure how it went, but I can tell you that on Google Calendars I have lots and lots of blue boxes with event titles like CLEAN UP SUPPER; VOLUNTEER; HELP KIDS WITH HOMEWORK.  Hmmm.  There are no empty boxes, which means if you call me and you are not on the time-map (and believe me, there is no room for phone calls on my time-map), you have completely wrecked my day. 

The reason I created the time-map is that each day, the minutes turn into hours and then it's 10:30 and I'm wondering, "What did I do all day? It exhausted me, whatever it was."  We are entering year #3 of being a stay-at-home mom with no stay-at-home kids, and reality has set in.  I am no closer to being organized.  I have read many more books about organization and time management than I had this time two years ago, but that is about it.  I feel like, in order to validate being at home for approximately 6.5 hours every day with minimal interruptions, the house should be respectable, I should be running some sort of profitable home-based business, and clothes should be neatly folded and in drawers.  Is that too much to ask?  I don't even know; all I know is I'm not there. And the guilt...I don't even know what drawer to put the guilt in. 

No comments: