Thursday, March 11, 2010

Shin Splints

Have any of you ever had shin splints?  I have been running a lot lately, trying to get past 5.5 miles so I can crush the Cooper River Bridge Run in just a couple of weeks now.  Instead of becoming a gazelle-like sprinter, however, my pace has slowed and I am having horrific, I-can't-run-through-it-must-walk-type pain in my shins.  Debilitating!  Demoralizing!  Might as well pick up the Valu-pak of Snickers and some elastic-waist pants the next time at Wal-mart, because I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

I iced my shins last night.  Everything online (O blessed fount of wisdom!) says rest, ice, time to replace the shoes, cross-train...I bought new shoes today and paid $9.99 for a single pair of socks (are you kidding?), so I better be good to go.  Any other ideas, other than quitting running which is out of the question?!

No comments: